Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HFSExplorer 0.20

HFSExplorer 0.20 was just released after some intensive testing sessions.

Some highlights:
  • Support for AES-128 encrypted disk images. Crypto implementation details were derived from studying the VileFault proof-of-concept created by Ralf-Philipp Weinmann, Jacob Appelbaum and Christian Fromme.

  • Support for the older HFS (Mac OS Original) file system. Nobody really uses it these days, but an application named "HFSExplorer" should be able to read HFS file systems. ;>

  • Support for file system links, both hard links and soft (symbolic) links to files and directories. This makes it possible to browse Time Machine backups, as they use hard directory links extensively to create the impression of snapshots, and adds a lot to the general perception of file system completeness.

  • Extracting files can now be done "quitely", without user interaction, by setting a few runtime extract variables represented as radio buttons. This is useful for doing "batch" transfers that take a long time to finish.

  • New summary panel in the "Information" dialog for files and directories. This panel sums up some of the most important information about a file system entry. For directories, the entire directory weight is now calculated.
The next focus point will be write support. Once write support is implemented, version number will probably jump to 1.0.

12 comments:

ronan said...

yeah!! thanks for your work. it's helping me a lot. the write support would be great!!

David Kemp said...

thanks for this. Most valuable tool for when mac users forget we windows people can't read their disks.

HD said...

I'm getting HFSExplorer launch error, "Could not find the required class!" "Could not find the main class: org.catacombae.hfsexplorer.FileSystemBrowserWindow . . ."

I have java 6 on a windows vista 64 machine. Any thoughts?

Erik said...

HD:

Could you check if you're able to launch HFSExplorer using the .bat file "runfsb.bat", usually located in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\HFSExplorer" on an x64 machine? ("Program Files" may be localized)

Just double-click the 'runfsb' batch file to start it.

HD said...

Erik, runfsb.bat opens a window and then quickly closes it. Nothing else.

DM said...

Will this also work in windows 7?

Calvin Huang said...

Hey Erik, HFSExplorer looks awesome. I've been looking for a free alternative to MacDrive for work, and your app looks to be the only one out there.

I'd love to help you with the project, but I'm a novice to C & Java. However, I would like to contribute my web design/development expertise to help with the project website.

My portfolio & email address are available here: http://rottenrecords.com/portfolio/

Please contact me if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

I installed HFXE 22.1 on Windows 8. It worked for maybe 2 weeks, opening a .dmg file shared with a Mac. But then the .dmg file icon changed to a Firefox icon somehow (Firefox is my browser). Now I can not open the .dmg file on the Windows PC. When I try, I get the Catacombae software webpage in Firefox. Why do you think this happened?

Erik said...

Anonymous, October 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM:
No idea... it's possible that you have managed to associate .dmg files with the link to the web page... however that might happen.

Anyway, did you try a reinstall, and in that case does it solve the problem?

Matt said...

Hello,

I can't seem to get HFS Explorer to work - I keep getting the following error when I try to load a file system from a device "Invalid HFS type". Do you know why? I have file vault set up on the Mac and am trying to access from Windows 8. Thanks!

Erik said...

Matt, December 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM:

Hi,

FileVault 2 (the FDE version introduced with OS X Lion and used after that) is not yet supported by HFSExplorer. Only FileVault 1 or Legacy FileVault (per-home directory encryption) is supported.

It is still possible to use FileVault 1, even in the latest OS X 10.10 Yosemite but you need some command line hacking to enable it.

Unknown said...

Hey Erik,

I am not much of a tech gal but I've been trying to dowload your program HFSexplorer and my computer won't run it. I dowloaded it but all it gives me is a "bin" file a "doc", "lib", "res", "HFSexplorer", "license", and "Uninst" but it won't go past those and I can't really open any of them. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!